AOC was founded in 1966 by Dr. William "Butch" Mulherin. In 2005, a new building was erected at 1765 Old West Broad Street to house the main office, and the old location was turned into an Orthopedic Urgent Care facility. The William B. Mulherin Ambulatory Surgery Center was built in 2006 on the AOC campus as a surgical alternative to the hospital. AOC now has locations in eight cities across northeast Georgia, as well as a dedicated MRI imaging facility, Occupational Health Center, and Physical Therapy Center. The new Sports Performance & Rehabilitation Center is set to open in winter 2013.