Dr. William “Butch” Mulherin founded AOC in 1966. Athens Orthopedic Clinic started in a small building on South Lumpkin Street with only two exam rooms and one nurse. Shortly thereafter, the office moved to 125 King Avenue in 1972. Our King Avenue building was renovated twice. A two-story building was built in 1982 next to the original one story building. Some years later, a second floor was built on the original building, bringing the size to 16,000 square feet.
In November 2005, Dr. Mahoney suggested to the board that each doctor of AOC should subspecialize, and that all future doctors should be trained in a subspecialty as well. The board voted and approved this decision, helping to streamline patient appointments and meet specific needs of each and every patient. Since, the practice has seen a great improvement in efficiency as well as expertise in sub specialized fields. Today, AOC has doctors trained in 8 specialized fields including: Hand and Upper Extremity, Spine and Scoliosis, Sports Medicine, Total Joint, Foot and Ankle, Orthopedic Trauma, Occupational Medicine, and Interventional Pain Management.
In 2005, a new building was erected at 1765 Old West Broad Street to house the main office, and the old location was turned into an Orthopedic Urgent Care facility. The William B. Mulherin Ambulatory Surgery Center was built in 2006 on the AOC campus as a surgical alternative to the hospital. AOC now has locations in eight cities throughout northeast Georgia, as well as a dedicated MRI and CT Imaging Center, Occupational Health Center, and Physical Therapy Center located in Athens. AOC has also invested in a Sport Performance and Rehabilitation Center (SPARC), which opened its doors on October 29, 2013. The new Sports Performance Center offers services to the public including classes, personal training, education, physical and nutritional assessments, massage therapy, as well as houses the new Performance Clinic.