Stephen B. Johnson, DO
Dr. Johnson is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon who specializes in arthroscopic and reconstructive surgery of the shoulder, elbow and knee as well as in Sports Medicine. He completed his orthopedic training at the Medical College of Georgia in Augusta with special interests in Sports Medicine and Orthopedic Traumatology. He went on to pursue these interests with fellowship training in Sports Medicine at the Andrews Institute under the direction of Dr. James Andrews. During this time he was a team physician with the Auburn Tigers, Washington Redskins and the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.
Dr. Johnson has a subspecialty certificate in Sports Medicine. Dr. Johnson’s professional affiliations include memberships in the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, American Medical Association, Southern Medical Association, and Georgia Orthopedic Society.
Dr. Johnson is currently a team physician for the University of Georgia and several local high schools.
University of Georgia
Bachelor of Science
University of Health Sciences
Kansas City, MO
Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine
Medical College of Georgia
Residency in Orthopedic Surgery
The Andrews Institute for Sports Medicine
Fellowship under Dr. James Andrews and Dr. Lonnie Paulos
Gulf Breeze, FL
Florida State Medical Board
Georgia State Medical Board
Research / Publications
- “Isolated Greater Tuberosity Fractures” California Surgery International 2008, Newport Beach, CA
- “Tension Effects on ACL Grafts Secondary to Interference Screw Placement” Florida Orthopedic Society 2008
- “CT Analysis of C1 Lateral Mass Size at Mid Ring for 3.5mm Screw Fixation” Georgia Orthopedic Society Annual Meeting 2006
- “Strength Comparison of ACL and Patellar Tendon in Hypermuscular Myostatin Knockout Mice” Georgia Orthopedic Society 2005
- “Intertrochanteric Hip Fractures: A Comparison of Sliding Screw/Plate Devices vs. Intramedullary Devices” University of Health Sciences 2002 Kansas City, MO
- “Ulnar Nerve Strain: Medial Epicondylectomy vs. Ulnar Nerve Transposition” University of Health Sciences 2001 Kansas City,MO
Dr. Johnson and his wife, Nicole, have two children: Amelia and Mac.
He enjoys golf, skiing, and other outdoor recreation activities with his family.
St. Mary’s Good Samaritan Hospital, Greensboro
Piedmont Athens Regional Medical Center
Piedmont Walton Hospital
St. Mary’s Hospital
Putnam General Hospital
Athens Orthopedic Surgery Center, Athens
Athens Orthopedic Surgery Center, Loganville